Talk Boost KS2
A catch-up programme for children aged 7-10 who are struggling with talking and understanding words.
Talk Boost KS2 is a targeted programme aimed at children 7-10 year old children who need help with talking and understanding words, aiming to boost their language skills helping them to catch up with their peers. The programme aims to accelerate children’s progress in language and communication after 8 weeks.
Children who are selected to take part in the programme will attend three sessions per week in small groups, each lasting 30-40 minutes delivered by the teaching assistant. The sessions include activities that follow the areas of language and communication: listen carefully, learning new words, telling stories, working with others and making friends and having conversations. In addition, the teacher will run a weekly whole-class activity and there are activities that can be practiced at home.
Further information can be found in these documents below:
The benefits are:
- Supports children who are not achieving their expected levels of progress in their language development
- Can be used to demonstrate to Ofsted how you are focussing on developing staff skills
- Help to build relationships with parents, by reinforcing the language skills the child learned during the group sessions
- Demonstrates the effective use of your Pupil Premium allocation
- An all-in-one speech and language solution package
- Can be used by non speech and language specialists
- Proven to improve children’s language and communication through our evidence base
- Designed to be sustainable so you can deliver the intervention multiple times to new groups of children
- A dedicated team to support you to maximise the impact of Talk Boost KS2 in your school
- Identify, monitor and track children’s progress before and following the intervention with the online tracker
There are two parts to Talk Boost KS2:
The first is Talk Boost KS2 training delivered by our regional team of Licensed Tutors. The training is suitable for year three, year four and year five teachers and teaching assistants. Participants will develop the skills and knowledge to understand the rationale behind Talk Boost KS2, by developing their awareness of speech, language and communication and typical language development in KS2. It will help participants to understand how to identify appropriate children, measure their progress and use the resources.
The second is the Talk Boost KS2 Programme Pack. The pack includes everything you need to run the programme. Specifically, the pack includes:
- An Programme Manual containing detailed group session plans and resources required
- A Teacher Manual that guides teachers in selecting the right children, tracking their progress and managing the overall operation of the groups
- A Organiser Box which contains pre-cut session cards that are designed to make your Talk Boost KS2 sessions even more convenient
- 12 Communication Detective Notebooks to reinforce what has been taught in the group sessions
- Access to our Online Tracker Tool to measure and analyse progress which supports Pupil Premium
There are two costs to Talk Boost KS2.
The Programme Pack costs £550.00 and the cost of training is set individually by our Licensed tutors. If you are a small setting you might wish to consider grouping your staff together with other settings for the training and sharing the costs between yourselves.
Visit the Find a tutor page to find a Talk Boost KS2 Licensed Tutor near you using the Map. The Licensed Tutor can arrange training and quote the cost of training. You can then purchase the Programme Pack directly on our online shop.
Alternatively get in touch on email@example.com or call 0207 843 2515 to talk to our team about Talk Boost KS2 or to arrange training.
Practitioner and Tutor resources
All the practitioner and tutor resources for our programmes can be found on our new learning portal.
Please register or sign in here.
To help you access the online tracker, we have created a number of resources that will show you how to set up your account and get the most out of the tracker.
- Watch the introductory ‘Quick Start‘ video
- Read the more in depth ‘How To‘ guide
- View a common set of Frequently Asked Questions
To Set up an account please visit www.speechandlanguagetracker.org.uk
Please note, that all the PDFs of the trackers can be found in the resources section of the tracker and on the Learning Centre (register using the link given above).