Talk Boost KS1
A catch-up programme for children aged 4-7 who are struggling with talking and understanding words.
Talk Boost KS1 is a targeted programme for 4-7 year old children that need help with talking and understanding words, including children in Reception classes. The programme is delivered in primary schools by classroom teachers and teaching assistants and provides a structured programme that boosts children’s progress in language and communication by an average of 9 – 18 months after a ten week intervention.
Children who are selected to take part in the programme will attend three sessions per week in small groups, each lasting 30-40 minutes delivered by the teaching assistant. The sessions include activities that cover the key elements of language: Attention and Listening, Vocabulary, Building Sentences, Telling Stories and Conversations. In addition, the teacher will run a weekly whole-class activity and there are activities that can be practiced at home.
Further introductory information can be found in these documents below:
There are two parts to Talk Boost KS1.
The first is Talk Boost KS1 training delivered by Speech and Language UK’s regional team of Licensed Tutors. The training is suitable for reception, year one and year two teachers and teaching assistants. Participants will develop the skills and knowledge to understand the rationale behind Talk Boost KS1, identify appropriate children, measure their progress and deliver the programme successfully.
The second is the Talk Boost KS1 Intervention Pack. The pack includes everything you need to run the programme. Specifically, the pack includes:
- A Programme Manual containing detailed group session plans and resources required
- A Teacher Manual that guides teachers in selecting the right children, tracking their progress and managing the overall operation of the groups
- 12 Children’s Activity books to reinforce what has been taught in the group sessions
- Access to our Classroom Checklist, Online Tracker Tool and Child Attitude Survey to measure and analyse progress which supports Pupil Premium
- Access to the Communication Cookbook which contains fun activities to support children’s language and communication
- Talk Boost KS1 Toolkit which contains a set of musical instruments, toys, and activity materials designed to make your Talk Boost KS1 sessions even more convenient.
There are two costs to Talk Boost KS1.
The Programme Pack costs £550.00 and the cost of training is set individually by our Licensed tutors. If you are a small setting you might wish to consider grouping your staff together with other settings for the training and sharing the costs between yourselves.
See a breakdown of the affordability of Talk Boost KS1 over time here.
Practitioner and Tutor resources
All the practitioner and tutor resources for our programmes can be found on our new learning portal.
Please register or sign in here.
To help you access the online tracker, we have created a number of resources that will show you how to set up your account and get the most out of the tracker.
- Watch the introductory ‘Quick Start‘ video
- Read the more in depth ‘How To‘ guide
- View a common set of Frequently Asked Questions
To Set up an account please visit www.speechandlanguagetracker.org.uk
Please note, that all the PDFs of the trackers can be found in the resources section of the tracker and on the Learning Centre (register using the link given above).